If you’re anything like us, you’ve been in holiday mode these past few hot, humid weeks and doing as little exercise as possible (apart from swimming). So here are a few easy, low-cost tips to make the most of the last few weeks of summer and get the body moving more….
1. Break it down. Short on time? If you can’t find 30 spare minutes a day to exercise – break it down into two or three 10-15 minute segments a day.
2. Take the stairs. Go up (or down) the stairs as often as you can, even if it’s just a floor or two. Or walk some of the way, then take the elevator the rest of the way. And why ride escalators when you can climb them?
3. Ditch the car. Spare yourself the hassles of parking and get a few more steps into your day by parking further away (or better still, leave the car at home).
4. Take the long way home (or to work). If you walk or bike to or from work and always follow the same route, challenge yourself by taking a longer route. You’ll get to know the neighbourhood and get fitter too.
5. Walk while you talk. Making or taking phone calls often? Don’t just sit there, make a habit of getting out of your chair and strolling about while you’re on the phone.
6. Even better organise ‘walk-meetings’. Catching up with a friend or colleague? Ditch the coffee and put on your walking shoes instead.
7. Burn while you binge. Can’t miss your favourite TV shows? Use the ‘downtime’ to walk or jog while you watch, do yoga, stretch or lift some weights.
8. Walk in the evenings. We agree it’s far too hot to exercise during the day at the moment! So grab your partner, dog, kids or a friend and make the most of our long summer evenings.
9. Wear sunscreen and drink lots of water. This is a no-brainer – avoid too much hot sun while exercising, wear sunscreen if you are outdoors and drink lots of water to keep your body (and skin) hydrated.