With the slightly cooler autumn weather approaching, now’s a great time to think about trying to get more exercise into your day. And what easier way than to walk?
Did you know that walking is one of the best daily exercises you can do. Yet one study found that 40% of adults don’t walk at all – and this percentage is increasing as technology makes our lives a whole lot easier, but a whole lot less healthy.
Walking for 30 minutes a day may sound daunting if you haven’t done much exercise lately, but you’ll be amazed how easily you can fit it into your routine. Or why not break it down into two 15-minute walks a day, such as walking to work or public transport – or taking a stroll at lunch and morning tea time?
Walking is one of the best ways to get into an exercise routine because it’s a simple way to work muscle groups and burn calories. But the thing is to commit to walking regularly and gradually increasing your pace and or distance – so you really see the benefits!
1. Walking is free: Unlike other forms of exercise, walking doesn’t cost anything apart from ensuring you have a comfortable pair of shoes.
2. It’s sociable: walking can be even more enjoyable with friends, family members or a dog – and it helps take your mind off the exercise.
3. It’s doable: if you haven’t done much walking lately, just start with ten or fifteen minutes and gradually build up to 30 minutes a day.
4. You’ll feel better: walking helps you feel fitter and have more energy.
5. You’ll look better too: walking can help you tone up your muscles, lose weight gradually and reduce cellulite.
6. It’s a great stress reliever: walking can help you ‘clear your head’ and have some space in your day to think about problems.
7. You’ll sleep better too: Whatever time of day you walk, you’ll find it easier to relax and to sleep better at night.
8. It can reduce blood pressure: Not only that, walking can also reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, anxiety and depression as well as many other health issues.
9. You’ll get to know your neighbourhood: Walking can help you feel part of your community, meet people and get to know local streets, places and faces.
10. It’s better for our planet: walking creates no pollution and no traffic jams, so leave the car behind and get out and enjoy nature!
Subscribe to our newsletter!